Thursday, June 5, 2008

I need a Second Life because my life is so great.

For those who don't know what Second Life is, it is an online community that tries very hard to imitate real life by using virtual reality. Here is a video from one of my favorite shows The Office:



Second Life has become very popular in the last few years. It has also become a trendy tool to use in higher education. I have spent many hours in second life and have even attended a workshop about S.L. in education. I don't claim to be an expert on it by any means, but I have used it just enough to have some opinions. Every so often I'll have a professor come up to me and ask me "Should I be using Second Life?" Well, I don't have a great answer, but I believe that it is a tool with tremendous potential, but I don't think most faculty and teachers are ready for it. Second life has potential to someday change the way online education works, but it requires some effort. The next generation of teachers is likely to be equipped to take advantage of it.

People take on a different personality online then they do in real life- obviously the anonymity of being online makes peoples inhibitions disappear. The question is: is this a good thing or a bad thing? It can be great for the shy individual who can overcome their fears. It can be bad because people can spend so much time in the virtual world that the skills needed in the real world aren't developed.

I've been considering holding a virtual class this summer in Second Life. What do you think, is this a good idea? If you are one of my students, would you like to do this?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ben,
    I like the Office too. But I don't know about Second Life. I attended a social networking conference last year and it was one of the hot topics. In fact, I believe one of the fellows who started Second Life was a speaker. It was my first exposure and I'm afraid I still think the same about it today as I did then: it's fake and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I know Second Life can be a place for people to experiment with ideas and personalities and perhaps take what they've learned and apply it to real life, but I'm not sure of too many pros. I do agree Second Life can serve as a nice training ground where online participants can experience training and ask questions in a less intimidating forum, but I can also see a deceptive or "shady" side to it. The online world seems to be the place for relationships these days; in Second Life, people can marry, have sex, kids, live in a home, have a great job and live life to the "fullest." I can see this appealing to some strange or highly imaginative people. Oh yeah, Second Life affairs are great. (That's what she said.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the office! It is my favorite show! Anyway, I would be really intimidated about second life, but that is because I think it is a little strange, maybe because I do not know that much about it. If you were teaching undergraduates, I think that they would love it, but older students may not take to it that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t had much experience with Second Life. Nor can I say (at least for now) that I would be a big fan of using it for education. It seems as if we’re moving further away from interaction with one another, and this causes me to think: are we forgoing he social aspect of education for the sake of ease of use, removal of distances, and anonymity?

    The use of tools such as SL reminds me of the trend in texting: My wife will text my daughter and ask her something. My daughter, in turn, responds only to have my wife text her again t clarify the issue. What happened to a call to quickly and clearly explain an issue?

    I admit, I am more old-school than most, but I truly fear that in our quest to extend and expand education across the great divide, we lose something equally valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed feelings about second life. I have heard about it but it seems like it is only the real computer "guru's" that use it?

    I think it could break down some walls because students may not feel as intimidated to ask questions if it is online and their "second life" character.
    I do think some people take it to the extreme. I have heard stories about adults that don't leave their rooms and play online all day in this virtual world. They spend all their money buying things so their character can drive around a Jaguar or whatever car of their choice. At the same time if that is the direction we are heading it would be good to expose students to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to live in reality. I have a really hard time with video games or this Second Life thing because I feel like it is a waste of time. I am more interested in interacting with humans on a more personal level. I spend enough time at the computer between work and school and I'm just not ready to have an actual life (or fake life - like Darren says) online. I would be willing to try out a class through Second Life though because I could be wrong, it could be a great thing for me, I'm just not sold yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Ben I am always impressed by your topics. I would love to use second life as a educational tool. Hitting my senior years, I find the younger crowd intimidating in a class room so this would make that go away.
    Just my thoughts.
    Lisa Case

    ReplyDelete