Friday, May 16, 2008

1st class taught for MED 608G

On Wednesday evening I taught the first of five classes for the MED608G course. There are seven students signed up for the class. They are all very bright and capable. It is always interesting to me getting to know students. I think that is what I miss most about teaching is the interaction with students and having the sense of helping somebody real learn something.

So much of my job lately has been about developing material for students who I might not ever meet or get to know. There is something satisfying about knowing students and seeing how the principles that are being taught can affect and help these students.

The class was not without a little tension. There are a couple students who are very assertive about their learning. In other words- they spoke up about halfway through the class and gave me feedback about the structure of the class and expressed some of their fears and concerns about a class like this. I actually am really grateful for comments like this.

The last year I have read a collection of books by Patrick Lencioni about leadership. One of my favorite books is one called "Death By Meeting" and another one called "The Five Dysfuctions of a Team". These books are written as fables. They have given me so much perspective on how people work together. One of the key principles in both of these books is that conflict or tension is a good thing. Simply put, when people have the opportunity to express their thoughts openly then it allows them to buy in better in the long run.

In "Death By Meeting" the principle of healthy conflict is brought up as a principle of a good meeting. I think the same principle applies to teaching adults. People become engaged in learning and in class when there is constructive contention. An example the book uses is that most people can sit through a movie for 2-3 hours. However, that same person if asked to sit still for 2-3 hours for a meeting or a class- it is torturous. The reason is because the movie has conflict which draws people in. So, if you can incorporate this principle into a class, the class is more productive because students are more engaged.

So, that was a long way of saying I am excited to teach this class because there are students who are not afraid to speak up and voice their opinions.

I'm also excited about this class because of a new approach to learning. All of our course materials is being developed in our course wiki. I anticipate the students contributing and helping to build the structure (and success) of this course.

If any of my students have made it through reading this entire post, please leave a comment and feel free to express your thoughts on our class up to this point.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that I'm not one of the "assertive" students in the class. I never really am. Maybe I'll turn a new leaf this semester though. ha ha Just joking Ben. I am really looking forward to learning all sorts of new things from you and the class. I have never read "Death by Meeting" but I have had several superiors recommend it. Maybe I will fit it into my busy summer schedule. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for this class! I have already started experimenting with the different blog sites and it seems that there is a lot you can do.
    As far as conflict goes, it seems ever since I took a job at Westminster I haven't been able to escape it. I think it is a good thing. I have talked with a lot of students that are frustrated and it is better for them to voice there concerns than bottle it up. It also makes for a better learning environment. Although I have to admit when I first had to deal with a lot of conflict I wanted to run away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually really excited for this class. I spent the last week reading up on different wiki's and blogs and am excited to start my personal ones. I just came into class expecting more direction than was immediatly given but after doing some of my own research, I am pretty comfortable with what we will be doing, I think.

    Now if I only understood sharepoint...I'll call soon to reschedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ben,

    Thanks for not mentioning my name as one of the agitators; I feel a lot better. Here’s what I’m tell myself after seeing some of my classmates’ blog sites, “my site stinks.” Actually, I say it in a nicer way, “These guys must have friends who are more familiar with this stuff than my friends. I called my IT buddy who works for some nameless company as a programmer and he had no clue about setting up blog sites or which one’s are “cutting edge;” he’s only good at pirating movies – of which I disapprove, of course. Anyway, fables or not, there’s truth in your books. Some of the people I trust most at work are those with whom I fought at one time or another in my career. In fact, I fought Ronny Boyce in the second grade and we became best friends all through junior high school. I like constructive conflict; we all know it awakens critical thinking. Ah, but I digressed…I like people who express their feelings. That’s why I think I’ll enjoy this Web blog thing, or “blogging” for short. Oh yes, I liked the video too. My wife appreciated your comment about your wife being the best view or site on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the comment that you're grateful for students that speak out. As an educator of adult learners, I thoroughly enjoy this dynamic of the adult learning environment. Frankly, as long as I'm in the class, I'll always have something to say. I've had a lot of experience teaching adults and I'm not afraid to share that with the rest of the class. I also appreciate the concern you have for wnating to help us succeed in this class. Knowing that you're as interested in our success as we are says a lot about you as a teacher. I take confidence in knowing that we'll work it out along the way. After this intial exercise, my confidence is mcuh higher than the first night of class. I'm certain this will be an exceptional learning experience for everyone. Also, thank you for being so responsive to the email I sent you. That was a quick return phone call.

    ReplyDelete